Live Cooking Demonstrations
The Expo features a Farm-to-Fork experience where attendees will be able to connect with chefs, farms and organizations focused on the entire food chain process. This featured area combines education about food production from the field to the dinner table with a showcase of Alberta restaurants and chefs, food processors and producers of organic and sustainable agricultural products.
Who will be cooking? Meet Chef Michel Nasrabadi
Michel Nasrabadi is currently completing his Red Seal Certification and has been working as a chef for over 10 years in a variety of establishments across Alberta, from small and locally run businesses to large-scale corporate restaurants. While Michel’s passion lies with farm-to-table practices as demonstrated by restaurants like Blue Hill Farm in New York, he also receives great inspiration from the gastronomic flare perfected by grandiose chefs such as Massimo Bottura, Heston Blumenthal and Ferran Adria. In 2017, Michel Co-Founded FRESCO as a pop-up restaurant brand that marries sustainable food practices with artistic expression in a way that the Alberta restaurant scene has not yet seen before. In time, Michel hopes to establish FRESCO as a leader in the contemporary culinary arts with a focus on collaboration with the community so that he may help to leave the world better than he found it.
Join the conversation
We are inviting chefs and producers to partner together to prepare delicious samples in front of a live audience, and more importantly share the message of ‘produce local and buy local’. As well speak about sustainable food sources; and how can Alberta farmers work together with chefs, restaurants and food processors to gain access to this exploding market opportunity.
Chefs are asked to help source ‘sponsored’ products from growers they regularly partner with and then create delicious tastings for groups of 30-50. Each chef will have 1 hour at a time at the cooking stage (additional spots may be available). (You may choose to prepare portions in advance, and only do a small cooking demonstration in your hour). Sunterra Farms has graciously sponsored the beef and pork for all chefs. In return, the chefs will be featured on the event website, with their restaurants, and on-site signs. Participating farms will also be recognized as sponsors. All participants may pass out information on your organizations.
- The cooking stage is in the Ralph Klein Centre at Olds College, will be outfitted with two butane burners, cooking counters, basic cooking utensils and a sounds system. Chefs are responsible for bringing in their own tools of the trade for their presentations as well as any special ingredients required for their menus.
- Chefs are asked to help source ‘sponsored’ products from growers they regularly partner with and then create delicious tastings for groups of 30-50.
- Each chef has one hour at a time at the cooking stage (additional spots may be available). You may choose to prepare portions in advance, and only do a small cooking demonstration in your hour.
- This is a brand-new event, with very few restrictions, so bring your creativity and come and have some fun meeting and getting to know Alberta farmers and helping them understand more about what is possible between your business and theirs.
- As a new event, we have very limited budgets, so cannot pay chefs for your valuable time. We will gladly promote each chef and their organizations on the FutureFarm website and onsite.
- Each chef may request $300.00 to offset some costs of participation and travel. We will require an invoice in advance in order to have cheques prepared.
- If you are interested to stay in Olds and enjoy all the FutureFarm Activities (exhibits, craft brewery beer gardens, three days of live musical entertainment and the FutureFarmer Fun Zone, we are happy to provide complimentary tickets. Hotel rooms and the campsite are very reasonably priced.
- Sunterra Farms has graciously sponsored the beef and pork for all chefs.
- Ceres Solutions has graciously sponsored fresh and dried oyster mushrooms.
- Lohr-A-Lee Indoor Gardens has graciously sponsored fresh fruits and vegetables.
We are currently seeking additional farms. If you want to participate by sponsoring fruits and vegetables, please contact Wes Scott.